Grammar School Memorials

 

Home

What's New

Future Plans

================

Local History Topics

... by location

Heanor Pubs

  The Market Place

  Memorial Park

Langley Mill

Langley Mill Floods

Aldercar

Codnor

Loscoe

Marlpool & Langley

Shipley

Shipley Postcards

Alfred Seaman Photos

Britannia Park

Britannia Craftsmen

Smalley

   Stainsby House

Forgotten Place Names

... by subject

Churches & Chapels

  Heanor Baptist

  Jehovah's Witnesses

  Langley Mill Baptist

  Vicars of Heanor

War Memorials

  Grammar School

Ghost Stories

Local Industries

  Aristoc

  Vic Hallam Ltd

Mining

  Ormonde Colliery

  Mine Accidents

Noted People

Henry Garnett

Transport

Canals

Railways

Eastwood Station

Road Transport

MGO Bus Routes

================

Society News

Committee Members

Programme 2013/14

Programme 2012/13

Programme 2011/12

Programme 2010/11

Programme 2009/10

Programme 2008/9

Programme 2007/8

Programme 2006/7

Programme 2005/6

Programme 2004/5

Programme 2003/4

Heritage Corner

   Heritage Centre

Other Displays

Publications

Street Names

Follow the Master

Portrait of Heanor

Heanor Omnibus Co

Calendar

Newsletters

   Newsletter Index

Membership

Contact Us  

Useful Links

The War Memorials page gives details of those memorials situated outside. But many organisations had their own internal war memorials. Some of these are, now, sadly lost.

The Heanor Secondary School (subsequently the Grammar School) commemorated the former pupils of the school who died during the two world wars, following public donations for the memorials. This page highlights those who are listed, and the craftsmanship involved.

World War I

The Caley-Robinson Memorial

A contemporary photograph of the memorial, after its dedication in June 1923

 

The memorial takes the form of a three-panel painting, which is sited in the old school hall to this day. The artist was Professor Caley Robinson, A.R.A., R.W.S., and the painting was exhibited at the Royal Academy prior to its arrival in Heanor. The central panel contains figures representing Faith, Justice, Charity, Fortitude and Hope, supported by heroes, martyrs and warrior saints. At the feet of the central figure of Charity are seated children of the present generation. At the base of this panel is the plaque containing the roll of honour, the names of the 57 old students who were killed in the Great War. The two side panels show British soldiers in the field of battle, and those who served their country at home.

 

L. Aldred

F. Gardiner

W.H. Painter

N. Allen

J. Holloway

H.L. Parkin

F. Amatt

A. Holmes

J.H. Parkin

W. Annable

B. Hudson

L. Parkin

H.L. Baker

A.B. Hunt

S. Raines

T.H. Beastall

J. Judge

R. Roe

M. Brown

W. Judge

B. Rolling

G. Butt

F. Keeling

C. Sadler

W.S. Clarke

T. Kerry

H. Saxton

T. Crumpton

F. Kirk

H. Shooter

C. Dixon

G. Leivers

C. Smalley

C. Eyre

P.E. Lockton

R.C. Stoddard

G. Eyre

A. Martin

L.A. Stone

R. Elleray

R. Martin

F. Tilforth

A. Filsell

W.E. Martin

F.O. Tucker

F.D. Fletcher

A.G. Meads

B. Warren

D. Fletcher

G. Noon

N. Webster

H.C. Fletcher

F.R. Oldershaw

J.H. Wilson

R. Foster

G. Orrell

T. Walker

The paintings were restored in 1949/50, and in 1961, they were covered in reinforced glass when the old hall was converted into a gymnasium. (This is the reason for the black line down the centre of the picture to the right.)

The school is now part of the South East Derbyshire College, and the memorial is still in its original location, and is deemed too delicate to move.

   

World War II

Lectern and Reading Desk

Following the war, the Old Students Association agreed to provide a memorial in the form of a reading desk, bearing a plaque inscribed with the names of the 24 fallen, along with a chair and a lectern. These items were all crafted in oak, bearing the Derbyshire coat of arms, and were carved by a Heanor man, Mr B. Dorrington. In addition, there was also a book of remembrance. The memorial was finally dedicated at a service on Empire Day, May 1949.

Following the closure of the School, in 1976, the memorial items were placed into storage. In October 1988 the memorial furniture, after being restored by Derek Camm, along with the book of remembrance, were rededicated at a service at All Saints Church, Marlpool, where the items still remain. At the same time, a plaque was placed in the old hall of the school giving their new location.

 

 

G. Beckett

C.A. Newbold

R. Bolitho

J.E. Nicholson

L. Booth

A.A. Preston

E. Bradley

A.S. Pryor

H.A. Briggs

F. Richardson

J. Brown

E.E. Russell

R. Brown

F.L. Shears

D.W. Bunting

K.W. Shooter

J.L. Clarke

E. Taylor

M.W. Croft

J.H. Taylor

D. Flint

A. White

F.W.M.V. Fowler

L. Williams

Fideles usque ad mortem

 

Last modified on 29 September 2013 12:49