Rectors & Vicars of Heanor

 

Home

What's New

Future Plans

================

Local History Topics

... by location

Heanor Pubs

  The Market Place

  Memorial Park

Langley Mill

Langley Mill Floods

Aldercar

Codnor

Loscoe

Marlpool & Langley

Shipley

Shipley Postcards

Alfred Seaman Photos

Britannia Park

Britannia Craftsmen

Smalley

   Stainsby House

Forgotten Place Names

... by subject

Churches & Chapels

  Heanor Baptist

  Jehovah's Witnesses

  Langley Mill Baptist

  Vicars of Heanor

War Memorials

  Grammar School

Ghost Stories

Local Industries

  Aristoc

  Vic Hallam Ltd

Mining

  Ormonde Colliery

  Mine Accidents

Noted People

Henry Garnett

Transport

Canals

Railways

Eastwood Station

Road Transport

MGO Bus Routes

================

Society News

Committee Members

Programme 2013/14

Programme 2012/13

Programme 2011/12

Programme 2010/11

Programme 2009/10

Programme 2008/9

Programme 2007/8

Programme 2006/7

Programme 2005/6

Programme 2004/5

Programme 2003/4

Heritage Corner

   Heritage Centre

Other Displays

Publications

Street Names

Follow the Master

Portrait of Heanor

Heanor Omnibus Co

Calendar

Newsletters

   Newsletter Index

Membership

Contact Us  

Useful Links

The Domesday book of 1086 records a church at Heanor. Nothing is known of the earliest church in the town, but the large church situated at one corner of the Market Place dates from the fifteenth century. The mediaeval chancel and nave of this building was demolished in 1868, but the tower was left intact. This Victorian rebuilding couldn't have been too good a job, as, in 1981, another major rebuild took place, and again only the tower was left as before.


St. Lawrence's Church prior to the demolition of the mediaeval nave and chancel in 1868.

The dedication of the church to St. Lawrence causes some confusion, as it seems clear that at some stage it was dedicated to St. Michael. The list of rectors and vicars below is principally taken from "Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire" by J. Charles Cox, published in 1879. Cox states that the church is dedicated to St. Michael, but is aware of it being referred to as St. Lawrence's too - he states that this is a mistake in a recent directory, but this was not the case. He categorically says that it was Heanor St Michael in the sixteenth century. When the change to the dedication actually took place is unknown.

From the 13th century, the church was under the patronage of the de Greys of Codnor Castle.  It was transferred to the Abbey of Dale in 1478, until the dissolution, following which it reverted to the crown.

Rectors and Vicars of Heanor 1298 to 2004
Rectors  
1298 Eudo de Derby Patron - Sir Henry de Grey
1304 Roger de Shutton Patron - Sir Henry de Grey
1320 John de Shiringham Patron - Sir Richard de Grey de Codnor
1346 Gilbert de Grey Patron - Richard de Wylloughby
1348 Nicholas de Grey Patron - Sir John de Grey de Codnor
1349 Roger Sauseman Patron - Sir John de Grey de Codnor
1370 Ralph de Barton Patron - Sir John de Grey de Codnor
1385 Roger de Cherlton Patron - John, Lord de Grey de Codnor
1434 William Thrumpton Patron - Henry, Lord de Grey
1435 William Wethurby (rector of Morley)
1440 John Fowler Patron - Henry, Lord de Grey
Vicars  
1475 William Tykhull Patron - Abbot of Dale
1477 John Middleton  
1485 Richard Nottingham (Canon of Dale)
1491 William Cutt  
c.1535 Oliver Pyggen  
1547 Richard Arnolde Patron - Robert Cooke de Little Hallam
1565 Laurence Brookes Patron - the Queen
1592 William Ashby  
1633 Josias Hawksworth Patron - the King
1650 Samuel Wright Parliamentary Commission
1664 James Rathbone  
1669 George Westwood  
1698 Samuel Lees Patron - the King
1737 William Clarke Patron - the King
1774 William Gould (died in 1788 after being kicked by his horse at Eastwood, after hunting)
1788 John Thompson Patron - the King
1821 Richard Whinfield Patron - the King
Rectors  
1866 Frederick Corfield Patrons - Francis Wright and others
1879 Conyngham William George Corfield


Canon C.E.L.Corfield and his new wife, the daughter of Lord Inverclyde, in 1906

1886 Claud Evelyn Lacy Corfield
1911 Ashley Tregoning Corfield
Vicars  
1917 Herbert Gilgrist
1933 Douglas Gerard Smith
1946 Stephen Robert Futers
1958 Harry Benjamin Roberts
1970 John Goodwin
1975 Ron McMullen
1989 Cedric Blakey
1998 Ian Pallett  
2004 Dan Pattimore  

 

Last modified on 29 September 2013 12:49