Heanor Heritage Centre

 

Home

What's New

Future Plans

================

Local History Topics

... by location

Heanor Pubs

  The Market Place

  Memorial Park

Langley Mill

Langley Mill Floods

Aldercar

Codnor

Loscoe

Marlpool & Langley

Shipley

Shipley Postcards

Alfred Seaman Photos

Britannia Park

Britannia Craftsmen

Smalley

   Stainsby House

Forgotten Place Names

... by subject

Churches & Chapels

  Heanor Baptist

  Jehovah's Witnesses

  Langley Mill Baptist

  Vicars of Heanor

War Memorials

  Grammar School

Ghost Stories

Local Industries

  Aristoc

  Vic Hallam Ltd

Mining

  Ormonde Colliery

  Mine Accidents

Noted People

Henry Garnett

Transport

Canals

Railways

Eastwood Station

Road Transport

MGO Bus Routes

================

Society News

Committee Members

Programme 2013/14

Programme 2012/13

Programme 2011/12

Programme 2010/11

Programme 2009/10

Programme 2008/9

Programme 2007/8

Programme 2006/7

Programme 2005/6

Programme 2004/5

Programme 2003/4

Heritage Corner

   Heritage Centre

Other Displays

Publications

Street Names

Follow the Master

Portrait of Heanor

Heanor Omnibus Co

Calendar

Newsletters

   Newsletter Index

Membership

Contact Us  

Useful Links

Closure of the Heanor Heritage Centre

It was with much sadness that the Society announced the permanent closure of the Heanor Heritage Centre, situated at Marlpool Cemetery, as from 25 January 2005.

Having been at this location since 1991, the owners, Amber Valley Borough Council, are unable to renew our lease this year, as they require the building for other purposes. The Society fully understands the council's position, and we are grateful for their continuing support to assist us with the storage of items while we are homeless!

For some time, the Society has been looking for better accommodation, somewhere closer to the town centre. We are still holding discussions with the Heanor and Loscoe Town Council to try to find somewhere. Whatever happens, it is likely to be some time before we have another Heritage Centre, and so, in the meantime, all our items will be put into storage. We will, of course, continue to put on displays at various locations.
 

We can, however, still reminisce about our Centre......

1856 saw a Government Commission into Burial Grounds declare that burials should be discontinued at Heanor Parish Church, the Congregational Church at Marlpool, the Wesleyan Chapel, and the Baptist Chapel at Langley Mill.

The end result of this was the establishment of the still-used Marlpool Cemetery, on land known as "The Hallows," which was bought by the Heanor Burial Board from Mr. F.T. Howitt. The cemetery was consecrated by the Bishop of Lichfield in January 1859, and the first Superintendent was Mr John Horridge.

Within the new cemetery, there was provision for a house for the Cemetery Superintendent, and for two chapels of rest, one for the Church of England, and one for non-conformists.

In 1991, the Heanor & District Local History Society was offered the lease on the non-conformist chapel to establish a Heritage Centre - we've been there till now! In the time the Centre was open, some 13,000 people have visited.

The Heritage Centre displayed a wide range of artefacts, photographs and documents relating to the area.


A postcard of the chapels, dated 1907 - spot the major difference between this picture and the two more recent ones above!
 

Two photographs showing the interior of the Heritage Centre - a bit cluttered perhaps, and showing some of the problems we had in the way of accommodation, but nevertheless a wealth of local historical information.

The Society continues to hold occasional displays at other places - click here for more information.

A new Heritage Centre?

We are hoping to re-open within the foreseeable future at a new venue, closer to the town centre, whether it is the old Fire Station or somewhere else.......

Watch this space!

Last modified on 13/12/09