Local Industries

 

Home

What's New

Future Plans

================

Local History Topics

... by location

Heanor Pubs

  The Market Place

  Memorial Park

Langley Mill

Langley Mill Floods

Aldercar

Codnor

Loscoe

Marlpool & Langley

Shipley

Shipley Postcards

Alfred Seaman Photos

Britannia Park

Britannia Craftsmen

Smalley

   Stainsby House

Forgotten Place Names

... by subject

Churches & Chapels

  Heanor Baptist

  Jehovah's Witnesses

  Langley Mill Baptist

  Vicars of Heanor

War Memorials

  Grammar School

Ghost Stories

Local Industries

  Aristoc

  Vic Hallam Ltd

Mining

  Ormonde Colliery

  Mine Accidents

Noted People

Henry Garnett

Transport

Canals

Railways

Eastwood Station

Road Transport

MGO Bus Routes

================

Society News

Committee Members

Programme 2013/14

Programme 2012/13

Programme 2011/12

Programme 2010/11

Programme 2009/10

Programme 2008/9

Programme 2007/8

Programme 2006/7

Programme 2005/6

Programme 2004/5

Programme 2003/4

Heritage Corner

   Heritage Centre

Other Displays

Publications

Street Names

Follow the Master

Portrait of Heanor

Heanor Omnibus Co

Calendar

Newsletters

   Newsletter Index

Membership

Contact Us  

Useful Links

Despite its rural history, without a doubt Heanor is an industrial town. This page lists just some of the industries (other than mining which is dealt with separately) which were found in the area - nearly all now gone.

I & R Morley
Morleyís factory (right) on High Street, Heanor, was one of the largest employers in Heanor, with over 1000 workers at its height. A throw-back to the old framework knitting days, before industrialisation, Morleys produced knitwear and underwear. Taken over by Courtaulds, and closed in the 1990ís, the premises have now disappeared, and the site has been redeveloped by Tesco.

 
 

Aristoc
Langley Millís equivalent was Aristoc, a high-class stocking factory founded in the 1920ís. This site also closed down in the 1990ís and has been redeveloped for housing.

Click here for more information.

Langley Mill Pottery
James Calvert established a pottery on Station Road, Langley Mill in 1865. In 1883, it was taken over by the Lovatt brothers, and continued production for many years. It became part of the Denby Pottery group in 1959, and finally closed down in 1982. Lovatt and Langley ware are still much in demand.

 
 

G R Turner
Staying in Langley Mill, the steel works of G.R. Turner was world-renown for its railway wagons and other products. Again, after first becoming part of British Steel in 1967, the site is now closed.

Smithís Flour Mills
There has been a flour mill on what is now Cromford Road, Langley Mill, for over two hundred years - indeed, that is where the village got its name. Smithís has been there since the mid-1800ís

 

Vic Hallam
Vic Hallam and his brothers started their firm making chicken coops and sheds at Marlpool. By the time the company reached its peak in the 1960ís, they had a huge site (seen here) next to the Erewash Canal at Langley Mill, and were renowned for their prefabricated buildings, particularly schools. The company was also responsible for building the Derbyshire Minersí Camp at Skegness. The site there the firm was based is now a business-park,

Click for a full page of information

 

Collaro
During World War II, the site which had just been acquired by Vic Hallamís was taken over for the war effort by Collaro, a London company which was moved out of the capital to avoid the bombing - a recent book, "Boiler Suits, Bofors and Bullets," gives details of the effect that this company had on the local community - a fascinating read. After the war, Hallamís finally took over its new site.

This is only a small glimpse of the industries which went to make up the Heanor area - many more could have been picked. As the website progresses, separate pages are planned for each of the major firms.
Time moves on, and the new industrial estates and business parks will, hopefully, keep employment in the area for many years to come.

Last modified on 29 September 2013 12:49