Langley Mill Floods

 

Home

What's New

Future Plans

================

Local History Topics

... by location

Heanor Pubs

  The Market Place

  Memorial Park

Langley Mill

Langley Mill Floods

Aldercar

Codnor

Loscoe

Marlpool & Langley

Shipley

Shipley Postcards

Alfred Seaman Photos

Britannia Park

Britannia Craftsmen

Smalley

   Stainsby House

Forgotten Place Names

... by subject

Churches & Chapels

  Heanor Baptist

  Jehovah's Witnesses

  Langley Mill Baptist

  Vicars of Heanor

War Memorials

  Grammar School

Ghost Stories

Local Industries

  Aristoc

  Vic Hallam Ltd

Mining

  Ormonde Colliery

  Mine Accidents

Noted People

Henry Garnett

Transport

Canals

Railways

Eastwood Station

Road Transport

MGO Bus Routes

================

Society News

Committee Members

Programme 2013/14

Programme 2012/13

Programme 2011/12

Programme 2010/11

Programme 2009/10

Programme 2008/9

Programme 2007/8

Programme 2006/7

Programme 2005/6

Programme 2004/5

Programme 2003/4

Heritage Corner

   Heritage Centre

Other Displays

Publications

Street Names

Follow the Master

Portrait of Heanor

Heanor Omnibus Co

Calendar

Newsletters

   Newsletter Index

Membership

Contact Us  

Useful Links

The Erewash Floods

Langley Mill, until the 1950's/60's when substantial work was carried out to alleviate the problem, was particularly prone to flooding along Cromford Road and Station Road.

This picture gallery is a collection showing the extent the floods could reach. Most  were taken in May 1932.

Just click on any of the pictures to see a larger version.

Taken from a window in the Midland Hotel, looking up Cromford Road, this view shows a small lorry heading towards Aldercar, passing Bridge Street and the shops on the left. The Co-op is the largest building, towards the right of the picture.

Taken from a window above Whitworth's (at the corner of Bridge Street and Cromford Road), this is looking up towards Aldercar, and shows both of the main Co-op stores, either side of Dean Street, along with part of the flour-mill on the opposite side of the road.
Both horse-drawn and mechanical vehicles struggled through the water!

From the same vantage point, but looking the opposite direction, towards the junction with Station Road.
The building in the centre of the picture was owned by the Co-op, but was it already their paint and wallpaper shop?
The final building to the right is the Midland Hotel (now "The Mill")
The advertising hoarding includes a poster for Camp Coffee.

Taken on Bridge Street, looking down to and across the junction with Cromford Road, and onto Parliament Square. The buildings in the background must have been demolished no later than the second world war - can anyone give any further information about them? The building on the right is Whitworth's Grocery.

A similar shot to that above, but with a different group of children (including Beatrice Maud and Herbert Stirland - 2nd and 3rd from the right). There is a better view of the cottages opposite the bottom of Bridge Street. It appears that we are looking at the back of the terrace, so presumably they fronted onto the River Erewash.
Station Road, the shot being taken from opposite the Railway Tavern, looking towards the junction with Cromford Road, and with the Midland Hotel in the centre of the picture.
The photograph is dated 22 May 1932, which is the same date recorded for the previous three photographs.
Taken from a similar position, two single-decker buses pass each other near to the Midland Hotel.
On the left of the picture is the wall and railings of the Wesleyan Church.
Looking the opposite way, from opposite the junction with Cromford Road, along Station Road, with the Wesleyan Chapel on the right, and the Railway Tavern on the left. Heading towards Heanor are a tram (or trolley bus?) and a lorry.

And taken from the same location (but possibly at a later time as there is no sign of overhead wires), an intrepid motorcyclist makes his way along Station Road away from the junction with Cromford Road. Notice the people standing on top of the shop front of Caves, next to the post office.
Heath's Garage, on Derby Road, Langley Mill (the Eastwood side of the Station Road/Cromford Road junction), opposite the terminus of the Erewash Canal (and the site of Vic Hallams).
Another picture of the garage of J. Heath & Co, this one showing the water flowing off of the road and onto the slightly lower land next to the end of the canal.
William Phillips' wooden cycle shop on Parliament Square, opposite the end of Bridge Street, This photo dates from the 1950's, as until the late 40's the building was Teather's Chip Shop.
Although we normally think of floods in Langley Mill being caused by the Erewash, there is another watercourse that flows through the village, the Bailey Brook. These next two pictures show the impact of the Bailey Brook flooding, and they were both taken by the Midland General bus garage, on Station Road, at the bottom of Mansfield Road.
The garage itself can be seen on the left of the upper picture.
The year of these two photos is not known.
 

If you have any other photos, or if you can add any further information about any of these pictures, then the Society would be pleased to hear from you - please use the Contact Us page to get in touch.

Several of the pictures on this page are courtesy of Alan Lowe, of Bedfordshire, for which we are grateful.
The photograph of the Stirlands on Bridge Street is courtesy of Peter Chamberlain of Waingroves.
The Heath Garage photos were taken by William Musson, and loaned to the Society by Jacquie Maxted.

Last modified on 29 September 2013 12:49