Marlpool & Langley

 

Home

What's New

Future Plans

================

Local History Topics

... by location

Heanor Pubs

  The Market Place

  Memorial Park

Langley Mill

Langley Mill Floods

Aldercar

Codnor

Loscoe

Marlpool & Langley

Shipley

Shipley Postcards

Alfred Seaman Photos

Britannia Park

Britannia Craftsmen

Smalley

   Stainsby House

Forgotten Place Names

... by subject

Churches & Chapels

  Heanor Baptist

  Jehovah's Witnesses

  Langley Mill Baptist

  Vicars of Heanor

War Memorials

  Grammar School

Ghost Stories

Local Industries

  Aristoc

  Vic Hallam Ltd

Mining

  Ormonde Colliery

  Mine Accidents

Noted People

Henry Garnett

Transport

Canals

Railways

Eastwood Station

Road Transport

MGO Bus Routes

================

Society News

Committee Members

Programme 2013/14

Programme 2012/13

Programme 2011/12

Programme 2010/11

Programme 2009/10

Programme 2008/9

Programme 2007/8

Programme 2006/7

Programme 2005/6

Programme 2004/5

Programme 2003/4

Heritage Corner

   Heritage Centre

Other Displays

Publications

Street Names

Follow the Master

Portrait of Heanor

Heanor Omnibus Co

Calendar

Newsletters

   Newsletter Index

Membership

Contact Us  

Useful Links

Did you know....?

Langley is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086, 700 years before Langley Mill existed! Other local places in the Domesday Book were Heanor, Codnor, and "Smithycotes."

Did you know....?

Langley used to have its own "Castle." Well, in the late 1800's, a man named Newton started enlarging a cottage, a folly which became known as Langley Castle (picture below, c.1900), on Hands Road. Regarded by many as an eye-sore, it was never finished, and stood empty for half a century before being demolished.

Marlpool United Reformed Church.

February 2004 saw the opening of a new United Reformed Church on Chapel Street, Marlpool. With this still comparatively recent, now may be an opportune moment to look back at the history of this chapel, one of the oldest in the Heanor area.

At the end of the 18th century, non-conformist groups were already meeting in the area, at private houses both at Tagg Hill and at Mill Hay.

Around 1800, the Rev. Joshua Shaw, of the Independent Chapel at Ilkeston, brought these two groups together, and they met at the premises of Benjamin Hardy, a town-centre draper. The group outgrew its meeting place and decided to build a chapel in the area, eventually buying the land on what is now Chapel Street in 1820.

It took two years for the meeting house to be completed, and the new building was used both for services and as a Sunday School. A Minister, Charles Ellis of Belper, was appointed 1825.

By 1827, the meeting house was itself too small, and a chapel was built on the same site, being named the Mount Zion Independent Chapel at Marlpool.

In the 1840's the chapel was extended to have a gallery installed by the then Minister, Edward Leighton. At this time the Sunday School had over 300 pupils and 33 teachers! Rev. Leighton also instigated the first choir, having decided that those who possessed either "actual or imagined" vocal powers should be trained to sing. Such a success was this choir that they were given two rows of seats immediately behind the pulpit, and space was also provided for the band, consisting of 6 or 7 instruments.

In 1856, at the end of the Crimean War, Rev Leighton led the Marlpool contingent in a Day of Thanksgiving in Heanor, with a procession of some 450 members going from the Marlpool Church to Heanor.

In 1878, the chapel was fitted with gas lighting, the height of luxury at the time! This was followed by a fund-raising campaign for a new heating system. The next project, began in 1889, was to raise funds for a pipe-organ, though this took until 1896 - the funds were used instead for feeding local children during the Great Coal Strike of 1893. This was a recurring theme, and the coal strikes of the 1920's again saw the Chapel feeding over 300 children a day. Improvements to the building continued, with, for example, electric lighting being added in 1928.

A major benefactor from the 1920's was Vic Hallam, who was elected a Deacon in 1923.

But, all good things must come to an end, and in 2002, it was decided that the building was beyond economic repair, and that a new chapel was required.

 

Neolithic Stone Axe

In November 1956, Peter Wright, then a farmworker at the Co-op Farm at Laceyfields, Langley, discovered a polished neolithic stone axe while gathering stones in a newly ploughed field, near to the main railway line. It is now in the possession of the Derby Museum. (Peter is now one of the Committee Members of the Society.)

Analysis of axe shows it to be coarse epidotized quartz felspar tuff, most likely originating from the Lake District. There were four principal regions in the country where the stone to make axeheads originated, and this is one of them.

So, neolithic man was probably in our area some three or four thousand years ago. There have been very few other prehistoric finds in the area - a few flint implements were found in 1910 south of Langley Mill church, and a small pierced whetstone has been found in a garden on Hands Road. But future finds may still add to the history of the region.

Did you know....?

Langley Swimming Baths, which were situated at the junction of Laceyfields Road and Aldreds Lane, were developed from one of the early  reservoirs which supplied Heanor with drinking water.

The baths were opened in 1902, and were not closed until the 1960's.

Swimming lessons were laid on for the local schools, and many can remember them with dread!!! The William Gregg Memorial Baths on Hands Road were opened in 1970.

 

Did you know....?

The old All Saints Church on Ilkeston Road, Marlpool, burned down on Christmas Eve 1949. The new church was built by F. Sisson and Sons of Langley Mill, who also built the church at Loscoe.

 

We don't have many listed buildings in the area, but one of them is the Butcher's Arms at Langley.

Did you know....?

Marlpool is named after the "marl pool," a large pool of water situated next to All Saints' Church on Ilkeston Road, which was left after the extraction of "marl", a mixture of clay and carbonate of lime, used in agriculture.

The pool was certainly there in 1792; it was filled in and became the initial site for Vic Hallam's timber works.

 

Did you know....?
Langley was the birthplace of Henry Garnet, a member of the Gunpowder Plot of 1605 - as such, he paid the price along with Guy Fawkes and the rest! For more information, there is now a page dedicated just to him - click here!

Some images of this page  are reproduced by kind permission of www.picturethepast.org.uk, with acknowledgements to (i) Derbyshire Library Service (Langley Castle), (ii) The Wood Collection (Church Fire). Digital Image copyright North East Midland Photographic Record. All other rights reserved.

Last modified on 29 September 2013 12:49