Issue 312 (February 09) - The main article this month is on
Edward Smith (1818-1874): Heanor's forgotten son, a medical pioneer.
The Society's newly reformed Publications Sub-committee sets out their
plans for the next few years.
Issue 311 (January 09) - An old newspaper article on the
Consecration of a New Church at Aldercar in
1871 is accompanied by articles on John Rigdon
Groom, and Codnor Memories.
Issue 310 (December 08) - Another eight-side newsletter includes
the fourth and final part of John Sterling's Memoirs. An Old Heanor
Christmas Tale adds to the festive season, while the Heanor Music
Festival of 1934 explains the background to a recent donation, of a
silver medallion, to the Society. Finally, Smalley Church Bells
includes details of the gift by the Rev. Charles Kerry, which resulted
in the building of a new tower at the church.
Issue 309 (November 08) - Richard Bolitho - A Local Dambuster
looks at the life of this former Heanor Secondary School pupil who
died during Operation Chastise in 1943. The third section of John Sterling's Memoirs
is followed by an item entitled What's in a Nickname.
Issue 308 (October 08) - An article on Langley Mill Co-op in
the 1950s supplements the second piece of John Sterling's Memoirs.
Issue 307 (September 08) - Another eight-sided newsletter (will
this become the norm?) In Follow
the Master: A History of Heanor Grammar School the author gives
an overview of the Society's latest book, along with a selection
of comments received so far. Gas from the Water Tap - But
Nothing to Worry About is a newspaper article from the 1950s which
shows just how severe mining subsidence could be in the Heanor area, and
on the Marlpool estate particularly. And John Sterling's Memoirs,
sent to us by Margaret Chan, are a fascinating account of this man (also
known as John Sterland or Stirland), who was sent to work as a gardener
at Shipley Hall in 1804, aged 9 years. The newsletter also reports on
the May Meeting (Heanor Grammar School) and the Society's two summer
Issue 306 (May 08) - The second part of How Langley Mill
Celebrated Royal Occasions is accompanied by a first-hand account,
by John Potts, on his Experiences of a Reluctant Bevin Boy at
Issue 305 (Apr 08) - How Langley Mill Celebrated Royal
Occasions is a 1937 account of the subject by W.J. Angell. There is
a further update on The Raynes Family of Heanor, and newspaper
extracts on the Heanor Nursing Home Bazaar, 1931, and a
1967 report on Ormonde Colliery Not Closing.
Issue 304 (Mar 08) - Alan Charlton, who contacted the Society
via the website, sent us a fascinating article on Family Tragedies,
looking at mining and railway accidents which he has discovered in his
family history. Dr William Roe of Heanor looks at the achievement
of this 19th century man in founding the "Derbyshire Association in Aid
of the Deaf and Dumb". Short articles concern the Langley Mill
Telephone Exchange, and the death of John Rigden Groom.
Issue 303 (Feb 08) - With all the local excitement over the
television programme, Time Team at Codnor Castle gives a summary
of what has been found during their excavations at the site. A newspaper
article from 1949 relates to another celebrity, with the Visit of
Jack Warner to Heanor.
Issue 302 (Jan 08) - A Heanor Connection with 'Cranford'
looks at links between the author, Elizabeth Gaskell, and Heanor's
greatest writers, William and Mary Howitt. Alan Brougham recollects his
earliest years Working at 'Vic's', and a short piece
recalls How Loscoe celebrated Peace in 1945.
Issue 301 (Dec 07) - The second part to the
Memoirs of Betty Cooper describes
Heanor Wakes and Heanor Carnival in quite some detail. An advertisement
from the Langley Mill and Aldercar Co-op for the Top 20 records for
Christmas 1963 shows that the Beatles had five separate entries at the
Issue 300 (Nov 07) - A special
300th edition contains twice the number of pages. In the Memoirs of
Betty Cooper, a correspondent recalls her time working at Aristoc,
and before that her school days. A Heanor Link with the Pentrich
Revolution looks at the part played by a Heanor framework knitter,
John Mackesswick. And in an article on Local Artists, Cyril Bell,
William Rodway Barnes, Jack Dodsley and Carl Twigg all feature.
The back page features a number of advertisements for long-gone, but not
forgotten, local companies.
Issue 299 (Oct 07) - A theory regarding the pre-Norman history
of Codnor Castle takes prime position in this month's newsletter.
Issue 298 (Sep 07) - An article on Edward (Neddy) Prince of
Heanor, gives an account of a local character who was born in 1800.
The first newsletter of the season, there are also accounts of the
summer activities of the Society.
Issue 297 (Apr 07) - A pamphlet
issued by the Langley Mill and Aldercar Co-operative Society
Educational Department, 1936 gives some idea of the size of the
enterprise at that time. A C9 Bus Timetable also accompanies the
recent talk on the subject.
Issue 296 (Mar 07) - The
newspaper report of the Re-opening of Heanor Church, 1868,
together with an explanation of The "Monkey Run", form the main
articles. There is also an account of the early years of G.R.
Turner's, Langley Mill, and the fourth item on Carnival Bands,
with details of the Contest at Heanor, 1938.
Issue 295 (Feb 07) - Articles include a contemporary report on
the Rebuilding of Heanor Church, 1868, an account of Vic
Hallam and the Derwent Building System, and a short item on
Heanor Shops in the Late 19th Century.
Issue 294 (Jan 07) - The Black Sheep of the Family item
is concluded, and there are further items on the Heanor Runner
(Edward Stainsby), the Spondon Coronation Band Visit to Langley
Mill (1937), and also the rules of the Street Game "Rumstick."
The Early Years of Vic Hallam covers the trials and
tribulations of the company in the 30's and 40's.
Issue 293 (Dec 06) - The newsletter contains short articles on
Heanor Midland Road Station, a Prize Fight at Horsley, and
the Funeral of George Oldershaw. There is a second item on
Carnival Bands of the 1930's, and the beginning of a
genealogical search for the history of John Soult, "Black Sheep of
Issue 292 (Nov 06) - A Noted Heanor Runner gives
an account of the life of Edward Stainesby, born in 1825, who ended up
making a living from prize races. Local Carnival Bands of the 1930's
details the establishment of the Langley Mill Jubilee Band in 1935.
Issue 291 (Oct 06) - Memories from Oz are the childhood
reminiscences of Wyn Nelson - originally from Langley Mill. John
Allport of Smalley gives a potted history of the life and death of
the head master at Smalley School in the mid 19th century.
Issue 290 (Sep 06) - The Miller Mundy Divorce, 1881 gives
details of the court case following the elopement of Mrs Miller Mundy
with Lord Shrewsbury, and a dramatic chase across Europe by the wronged
husband! What a scandal for the area.
Being the first newsletter after the summer break, there are also
reports on the spring meetings and visits.
Issue 289 (Apr 06) - Harold Brocklesby - A Story of my Life
continues from the time that he went down the pit, at the age of 14,
until he was injured in 1939. Memories of a Wartime Evacuee is
Reg Crook's reminiscences of being sent to Loscoe from Surrey in 1944.
Issue 288 (Mar 06) - Heanor's Connections with the Raynes
Family looks at the Heanor roots of the Raynes family, which
included the first Labour Mayor of Derby, and a missionary after whom a
church in Ohio, USA, is named. Harold Brocklesby - A Story of my Life
gives a highly personal account of this man's childhood, up until 1914 -
a fascinating picture of times now forgotten.
Issue 287 (Feb 06) - An article on Arnold Warren, of
Codnor, gives details cricketing life, and his part in the Ashes series
of 1905. The Diaries of John Goodwin
conclude with him moving away from the area in 1933. And Heritage
Ignorance looks at the views of our local politicians in the 1960's
regarding the preservation of the Codnor Castle Dovecote.
Issue 286 (Jan 06) - It's in the Paper - it must be True!
looks at a confused newspaper article from 1876 about the "Postman's
Inn" at Codnor, the continuing Diaries of John Goodwin sees the
author leaving home in 1927, and the Miller Mundy Family Tree
summarises the genealogy of the principal family of the area.
Issue 285 (Dec 05) - A Christmas Quiz, and recollections
of an Airship of Heanor (the R101 in 1929), are followed by the
main article on the Ilkeston and Heanor Waterworks, 1902. The Diaries of John Goodwin
continue, with details of his family's first crystal set in the
Issue 284 (Nov 05) - A timely article on the link between
Heanor and the Gunpowder Plot of 1605, is accompanied by the third
part of the Street Games article. The Diaries of John Goodwin
give details of life in Heanor in the first half or the twentieth
Issue 283 (Oct 05) - The article on Street Games
continues, accompanied by old newspaper articles on Fishing Matches
(1937) and on Loscoe arsonists of 1892.
Issue 282 (Sep 05) - The main article covers a major fire at
Calvert and Lovatt's Art Pottery, Langley Mill, in 1892. There is also the start of an article on Street
Games of the past, contributed by members of the internet discussion
forum, together with reports on the Society's trips in the spring.
Issue 281 (Apr 05) - has a list of Shops and Businesses of
Heanor - 1965, and an article written in the 1960's by John Dunford
of Rutland who, in the 1910's/20's, came to Heanor for Holidays -
not, perhaps, the obvious destination, but he seemed to enjoy it!
Issue 280 (Mar 05) - Features an article by Jack Hallam,
who was prompted to contact us after reading this site. Memories of
Shipley Hall and Woodside Colliery is a fascinating reminiscence!
Smaller articles cover A.B.Williamson and Swarfega (as seen on
this site), concerns over A School for Loscoe (1892),
Whistling Dustbin Men (!), and the Sale of Shanakiel 1934.
Issue 279 (Feb 05) - The Mysterious
Disappearance of an Aldercar Farmer in 1768 is our main story - was
the body found at Alderwasley in 1771 that of Thomas Oldham? Excerpts
from the Codnor and Loscoe Parish Magazine from 1911 talk of the need
for a new church in this now booming village. Plus an announcement from
1722 concerning a Glass House at Codnor.
Issue 278 (Jan 05) - The main article gives details of the
abortive Sale of Aldercar Hall in 1883, and looks at what happened when
the premises failed to sell. (The site's Aldercar page is based on this
article.) Two major news stories - the publication of a new book, and
the closure of the Heritage Centre.
Issue 277 (Dec 04) - The final part of Heanor Wakes and Fairs
takes us from the 1930's to the 1950's, including a description of the
"X-Ray Lady" and "hook-a-duck"!
Issue 276 (Nov 04) - More drawings of old fairground rides
in the continuing article on Heanor Wakes and Fair, plus a report
on last month's popular meeting on the subject of Haddon Hall.
Issue 275 (Oct 04) - Betty Hughes' article on Heanor Wakes
and Heanor Fair continues, with descriptions of some of the rides,
together with drawings of the rides and a diagram of the layout of the
fair on Heanor Market Place.
Issue 274 (Sept 04) - The first part of an item looking back
at Heanor Wakes and Fair through the eyes of a child in the
1920's and 30's, and a summary of the use of this website to date, are
joined by reports from the last three meetings of last season.
Issue 273 (Apr 04) - The final part of
"Memories of Heanor" looks at the lack of pensions in the early
1900's, the rise of unions in the coal mines, and the importance of
pawnshops. It is also a newsletter for fruit and vegetables -
"Heanor and Marlpool Gooseberry Shows" follows the popularity of
growing gooseberries, from the 1860's to the 1940's, while we also cover
"Loscoe Celery Show" of 1891.
Issue 272 (Mar 04) - "Memories of Heanor" continues,
looking back at health provision and friendly societies, and also
working conditions at Morleys, down the pit, and at home. There are also
old newspaper cuttings on "Heanor Wakes" in 1866, and "Rabbit
Coursing" at Selston in 1874.
Issue 271 (Feb 04) - "Langley Castle" - a poem by Tom
Kew about the folly built on Hands Road. Further "Memories of Heanor."
And the report of the closure of the Eclipse Inn at Loscoe, in 1904
Issue 270 (Jan 04) - "Licensees in Langley Mill 1900-78"
- details of publicans taken from police records. "Memories of Heanor"
- a 1964 article from the Ripley & Heanor, looking back at the past
Issue 269 (Dec 03) - "Memories of a Birmingham Evacuee"
- Terry Everton's recollection of being evacuated from Erdington to
Langley Mill during World War II. Recruitment advert for Aristoc.
Issue 268 (Nov 03) - "Disputed ownership of Heanor Hall
Coal, 1822-3" - one of the many disputes regarding mineral rights in
the area, details taken from the Miller Mundy papers.
Issue 267 (Oct 03) - "Thomas Dring 1857-1942" - the
life of this local man, and his service in the Zulu wars. "A Family
Historian's Lament" - an anonymous poem, with a punch line!
266 (Sep 03) - "MGO
- Langley Mill Depot bus routes" - a definitive list of routes
operated from Langley Mill by Midland General. "Re-dedication of the
Samuel Watson Memorial" - after years of fund-raising by the
Society, the memorial to this famous wood-carver was unveiled by the
Duke of Devonshire at Heanor Church.
Issue 265 (Apr 03) - "A last memory of Shipley Hall",
details of the "Albert Hall, Heanor," and a 1944 advertisement for a
"South American Ball" at Heanor Town Hall, together with details
of the late spring visits to be made by the Society.