meeting at the Sun Inn, Eastwood, the "birth" of the Midland Railway
Parliamentary approval for Midland Counties line, connecting Derby,
Nottingham and Leicester. Plans for line along Erewash Valley dropped
Derby to Nottingham opened
Trent to Leicester opened
the Midland Counties Railway, the North Midland Railway, and the Birmingham
and Derby Railway, to form the Midland Railway Company
Railway line from Trent to Codnor Park opened, including stations at
"Langley Mill for Heanor" and Shipley Gate
extended to Pinxton
Valley line extended from Codnor Park to Clay Cross – now becomes a main
line from north to south
Northern open branch line from Awsworth to Pinxton, with stations at
Newthorpe and "Eastwood & Langley Mill"
Railway open branch line from Ripley to Heanor (Midland Road), with station
at "Crosshill & Codnor"
Northern open line from Ilkeston to Heanor (Heanor Gate), with station also
Railway's Ripley to Heanor line extended to Langley Mill station
Railway passenger service between Langley Mill and Ripley ceased
Northern close Marlpool station, and run only one unadvertised train each
way per day between Heanor and Ilkeston
between Ripley and Heanor removed. Track from Heanor to main line at Milnhay
remains for goods traffic
Great Northern station closed
Gate Station closed
Goods Station (Midland Road) closed
Northern Pinxton branch, including Eastwood & Langley Mill closed to
Mill Station closed
Mill Station re-opened!
The Midland Railway Crosshill & Codnor station, on the
Langley Mill to Ripley branch line. Closed in 1926.
The Midland main line at Langley Mill in the 1960's, looking
from the Bridge Street to North Street footbridge, showing the gas tanks and the
Pickersgill and Frost foundry.
See the separate page on the
Great Northern at Eastwood and
Langley Mill Station for a gallery of photos taken shortly after the station
closed in 1963.
Last modified on
29 September 2013 12:49