Heanor History round logoHeanor & District Local History Society Menu
Geoffrey Stone – Commemorative Plates

Pride of place in the first display, on the history of Heanor Grammar School, that the Society put on at Heanor Library (in May 2024), were two commemorative plates presented to Geoffrey Stone, B.A., J.P.

That display has now been replaced (and we hope to change the theme every two to three months), but for the benefit of those didn’t have the chance to see it, photographs of the plates are now below.

Mr Stone was the headmaster of Heanor Grammar School from 1957 until its closure in 1976; the school merged with South East Derbyshire College in 1974, and Geoffrey became Associate Principal of the College until his retirement in 1979.

On the closure of the school, and again on his retirement, Mr Stone was presented with a commemorative plate. Both of these had been designed, made and painted by the school’s former art teacher, John Fineran.

We are grateful for the donation of the plates from Mr Stone’s daughter, Ros Wain.