Heanor History round logo Heanor & District Local History Society Menu
White Lion, on Breech Road at Marlpool
Public Houses

This wonderful advertisement from 1888 lists just about every pub in Heanor, Langley Mill, Loscoe and Marlpool. There’s even a couple (The ‘Hands and Hearts’ and the ‘Prince of Wales’) which have not yet been identified.

The photographs below are just a few of those pubs – but where was the ‘Crystal Palace’, the object of the advert?

White Lion, on Breech Road at Marlpool
White Lion, on Breach Road at Marlpool

The ‘Crystal Palace’ was the name given to the large greenhouses at the back of the White Lion, on Breach Road at Marlpool. These were used for numerous events at the end of the nineteenth century.

The photo gallery below shows pictures of various other pubs of the area which are no longer with us.

Road Transport

Road Transport

The Midland General Story The Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Tramways Company was formed in 1903...

Railways

Railways

The growth of the railway around Heanor Map and Time-line Growth1832Famous meeting at the Sun Inn,...

Canals

Canals

The junction of the Nottingham Canal with the Cromford Canal at Langley Bridge. The houses on the...

Mine Accidents

Mine Accidents

With such a strong mining heritage, it is inevitable, if unfortunate, that there will be an...

Ormonde Colliery

Ormonde Colliery

The last of the deep-mine pits to be opened in the Heanor area, Ormonde Colliery was sunk by the...

Mining

Mining

Mining of coal, and, to a lesser extent, ironstone, has been taking place around Heanor since time...

Latest News