Heanor History round logo Heanor & District Local History Society Menu
Railways

The growth of the railway around Heanor

Map and Time-line

Growth
1832Famous meeting at the Sun Inn, Eastwood, the “birth” of the Midland Railway
1836Parliamentary approval for Midland Counties line, connecting Derby, Nottingham and Leicester. Plans for line along Erewash Valley dropped
1839Line from Derby to Nottingham opened
1840Line from Trent to Leicester opened
1844Merger of the Midland Counties Railway, the North Midland Railway, and the Birmingham and Derby Railway, to form the Midland Railway Company
1847Midland Railway line from Trent to Codnor Park opened, including stations at “Langley Mill for Heanor” and Shipley Gate
1849Line extended to Pinxton
1861Erewash Valley line extended from Codnor Park to Clay Cross – now becomes a main line from north to south
1875Great Northern open branch line from Awsworth to Pinxton, with stations at Newthorpe and “Eastwood & Langley Mill”
1890Midland Railway open branch line from Ripley to Heanor (Midland Road), with station at “Crosshill & Codnor”
1891Great Northern open line from Ilkeston to Heanor (Heanor Gate), with station also at Marlpool
1895Midland Railway’s Ripley to Heanor line extended to Langley Mill station
Decline
1926Midland Railway passenger service between Langley Mill and Ripley ceased
1928Great Northern close Marlpool station, and run only one unadvertised train each way per day between Heanor and Ilkeston
1929Track between Ripley and Heanor removed. Track from Heanor to main line at Milnhay remains for goods traffic
1939Heanor Great Northern station closed
1948Shipley Gate Station closed
1951Heanor Goods Station (Midland Road) closed
1963Great Northern Pinxton branch, including Eastwood & Langley Mill closed to passenger traffic
1967Langley Mill Station closed
1986Langley Mill Station re-opened!
The Midland Railway Crosshill & Codnor station, on the Langley Mill to Ripley branch line. Closed in 1926.
The Midland Railway Crosshill & Codnor station, on the Langley Mill to Ripley branch line. Closed in 1926.
The Midland main line at Langley Mill in the 1960s, looking from the Bridge Street to North Street footbridge, showing the gas tanks and the Pickersgill and Frost foundry.
The Midland main line at Langley Mill in the 1960s, looking from the Bridge Street to North Street footbridge, showing the gas tanks and the Pickersgill and Frost foundry.

See the separate page on the Great Northern at Eastwood and Langley Mill Station for a gallery of photos taken shortly after the station closed in 1963.

Road Transport

Road Transport

The Midland General Story The Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Tramways Company was formed in 1903...

Canals

Canals

The junction of the Nottingham Canal with the Cromford Canal at Langley Bridge. The houses on the...

Mine Accidents

Mine Accidents

With such a strong mining heritage, it is inevitable, if unfortunate, that there will be an...

Ormonde Colliery

Ormonde Colliery

The last of the deep-mine pits to be opened in the Heanor area, Ormonde Colliery was sunk by the...

Mining

Mining

Mining of coal, and, to a lesser extent, ironstone, has been taking place around Heanor since time...

Latest News